There's something deliciously satisfying about a French toast sandwich.
Although not the undisputed breakfast sandwich, the French toast sandwich deserves much more love than it gets.
How do you make French Toast?
French toast is relatively simple to make. The ingredients are typically things you may already have on hand and a great way to use day-old bread.
To make French toast, eggs are mixed or whisked together with milk. Day-old or slightly stale bread is dipped in the egg mixture and it is cooked in a pan or on a griddle.
How do you keep french toast from being soggy?
There are two ways to keep French toast from being soggy.
- Use bread that is only slightly fresh.
- Cook the French toast on a lower heat.
If the bread is close to a day old it will have a firm exterior. The egg will adhere, but the bread won't absorb it like a sponge.
Cooking French toast at a lower temperature will allow the center of the bread to steam. This revitalizes the bread, making it supple and delicious.
French toast is perfect for making a sandwich
Chances are you may have had a Monte Cristo sandwich at your favorite pub or bistro. The Monte Cristo is often ham and cheese stuffed between two thick slices of french toast.
Sometimes the Monte Cristo also includes slices of roasted turkey. The sandwich is often adorned with frosty sprinkles of powdered sugar and is often served with maple syrup and red berry jelly.
What else can I put in a French Toast sandwich?
This is part of the beauty of a French toast sandwich. We've learned from Monte Cristo that the ingredients can go in whatever direction you desire.
Whether savory or sweet or packed with heat what goes inside depends on your personal preferences.
Here are some of my favorite sandwich ingredients:
- Peanut butter
- Banana slices
- Hazelnut chocolate spread
- Ham slices
- Pineapple rings
- Sausage patty
- Whipped topping
- Cinnamon sugar
- Candied pecans
- Cowboy caviar (sweet and spicy jalapeno)
- Cream cheese and dark berries
- Smoked salmon
- Lemon curd
- Ice cream
- Honey and mozzarella cheese
- Grilled peaches and Greek honey yogurt
- Pretzel crusted chicken
Blackstone Griddle Recipe: French Toast Sandwich
- 17" Blackstone E-Series Griddle
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Half and half or milk
- 1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf French bread
- 8 strips bacon
- Preheat your griddle to 350F
- Lay the bacon strips on the griddle and begin cooking
- While the bacon cooks, prepare the other ingredients
- Cut the bread into thick slices, about 2 inches thick
- In a large bowl add eggs and half & half
- Whisk to combine
- Add cinnamon to eggs and whisk to combine
- Flip bacon and move to the other side of the griddle
- Dip French bread slices into the egg mixture and briefly submerge on both sides
- Place the egg coated bread on the griddle in rendered bacon oils
- Repeat with remaining bread slices
- Cook the bacon to your desired doneness, then remove and blot dry with paper towels
- Cook bread for 3 minuites or until it becomes golden and flip
- Cook the second side of the bread for an additional 3 minutes or until it becomes golden
- Remove French toast and sandwich two slices between bacon
- Serve immediately
This recipe is cooked on the new Blackstone E-Series griddle. The E-series griddle runs on electricity rather than propane and is rated for both cooking indoors and outdoors. Learn more about the Blackstone E-Series griddle in this article.