Making a pretzel crusted chicken sandwich in the Ninja Foodi Grill is easier than you would think.
Boneless breaded chicken sandwiches have always been a favorite of mine. Chicken cutlets, chicken schnitzel, or whatever you care to call them, I simply call them delicious.
There are a few things I love about this pretzel crusted chicken sandwich.
Ninja Foodi Grill Cleanup is simple
For starters, the whole dish can be cooked in the Ninja Foodi Grill. Cooking everything in one machine allows me to have far less clean up than if I used my stove and oven.
Using the Foodi also means on warm days I don't have to heat up my oven. In this dish, we use both the bake and roast functions and get results I find even better than from the oven.
Air fryer chicken Sandwiches can be moist and delicious
I use chicken thighs for this air fryer chicken sandwich because I love the way the meat holds up in the air fryer.
Dark meat tends to be more flavorful because they are harder-working muscles.
If you think about it, the animal is almost always standing so muscles like legs and thighs will be getting much more use than other muscles.
What are pretzel crumbs?
Pretzel crumbs are simply pretzels that have been ground up and can be used for breading foods.
I've found that Dot's Pretzel crumble is perfect for a chicken sandwich.
It's a delicious blend of pretzel and some other spices making it a wonderful breading for this dish.
Pretzel crumbs are great for breading just about anything and one time I even dredged these Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers in the crumbs for a bit of extra crunch on the poppers.
Bake your biscuits in the Ninja Foodi Grill
For some reason, I've always loved baking things from a can. They aren't as good as made from scratch, but they get the job done and sure are convenient.
Tips for baking biscuits in the Ninja Foodi Grill
- Preheat the grill to the highest setting
- this will get the pan very hot and promote more even cooking
- Space your food evenly for maximum airflow
- Follow the directions but adjust them
- Reduce the cooking temperature by a minimum of 25 degrees
- Reduce the cooking time by 25%
- Check on the cooking progress every few minutes
- If something smells like it's starting to burn, it is! Stay close by and respect if you smell something that doesn't seem right
This pretzel crusted chicken sandwich has some of the same tastes you love from the most popular national chicken restaurant chains. But adding the pretzel crumbs is what sets this dish apart making it better than what you can buy in a restaurant.
- 1 can Pillsbury Grand biscuits
- 6 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 2 cups pickle juice (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup pretzel crumbs
- Lay the chicken thighs flat on a cutting board
- With a sharp knife remove any fat, silver skin, or tendons
- If the meat is thicker in some areas lightly pound it flatter with a mallet or rolling pin under plastic wrap
- If you want to brine the chicken place it in a zipper bag and cover it with the pickle juice. Allow it to soak in the refrigerator for 6 hours or as long as overnight
- Preheat your air fryer to the highest setting
- Remove the chicken and pat dry with paper towels
- When the air fryer is preheated set it to bake at 325F and place the biscuits in the pan
- Cook the biscuits for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through
- While the biscuits are cooking begin to dredge your chicken
- In a large bowl combine the panko and pretzel crumbs
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs and oil
- Whisk egg mixture thoroughly
- When the biscuits are done remove them from the pan and set them aside to cool
- Reheat your air fryer to 350F
- While the air fryer is reheating bread the chicken by first dipping in the egg wash then into the pretzel crumb mixture to coat pressing firmly to form a bond between the meat and the crumbs
- Place the breaded chicken thighs into your Ninja Foodi Grill in a single layer
- Air fry at 350F for 10 minutes checking every 4 minutes
- Turn the heat up to air fry at 390F and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes until the chicken reaches a minimum internal temperature of 175F and the pretzel crumbs have browned to your liking
- Serve sandwich style on a biscuit
Using a pickle bath or brine is a wonderful way to add both flavor and moisture to the chicken thighs.
When I cook these chicken sandwiches I can barely wait to try them so I usually enjoy them with no condiments.
But feel free to top with mayonnaise, honey butter, or ranch dressing. Lettuce, tomato, and pickles, also make the sandwich pop with additional flavor.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 548Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 229mgSodium: 2881mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 37g
Nutritional information isn't always accurate and can vary based on ingredients.